SWIS - Settlement Workers in Schools
Coming to a new country and school can be scary for students, their parents and for school staff! We can help!
The SWIS program reaches out to newcomers/immigrant families as they arrive in the school and provides them with settlement information and referrals to education and community resources. The program helps families understand the basics of the school system in British Columbia, and provides information and referral on other aspects of life in Canada. SWIS assists the school staff to see the school and it’s requirements through the eyes of the newcomer, and sensitizes them to immigrant issues.
If a newcomer to Canada enrolls in your school, we can help with the following:
- Translation services, registration assistance
- IEP, teacher meetings, parent liaison bridging
- Social & emotional assessment
- Language assessment
- Community settlement
In order to help, we need a few things:
- Immigration/status information (must be a Permanent Resident to qualify)
- Year of arrival in Canada (not only FSJ)