Social Insurance Number (SIN)

Abi Can-755554In order to work in any province in Canada, including British Columbia and to be eligible or have access to government programs and benefits, you need to obtain a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

Full information on registering for a Social Insurance Number can be found on the Service Canada website here.

Some of the information from Service Canada regarding SIN is provided below.

Who can apply for a SIN?

If you are a Canadian citizen, a newcomer to Canada or a temporary resident, you need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work in Canada or to receive benefits and services from government programs.

Children who are 12 years of age or older may apply for their own SIN.

Parents and legal guardians can also apply for a SIN for children under the age of majority of their province.

Each SIN is issued to one person only. It cannot legally be used by anyone else. You are responsible for protecting your SIN. Store your SIN in a safe place, do not keep it with you.

Where do I apply for a SIN?

Applying at a Service Canada Centre

Service Canada has made it easy for you to apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN), to replace your card, or to amend your SIN record.

Simply gather the documents you need and take them to your nearest Service Canada Centre. If your application and documents are in order, you will get a Social Insurance Number in one visit and receive your card within 10 business days.

Applying by Mail

If you need to apply by mail, please follow these steps:

Download an application form from the Service Canada website, or order the form by phone at 1‑800‑206‑7218. Select Option "3".

Send your completed application, original documents and payment, if required, to:

Service Canada
Social Insurance Registration Office
PO Box 7000
Bathurst NB E2A 4T1

If you send your application by registered mail, we will return your documents and SIN card in the same way. We are not responsible for documents lost in the mail.

If your SIN application meets the requirements, you will receive your SIN card by mail within 20 business days from the date we receive the application.

Through the Newborn Registration Service

The Newborn Registration Service is available in Ontario, British Columbia, Alberta, Nova Scotia, Québec, and Manitoba.

Service Canada Office:

Fort St. John Scheduled Outreach
10600 100th Street,
Fort St. John, BC
Find us on a map.

S.U.C.C.E.S.S. can help you to fill out any forms. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us at 250-785-5323 Ext. 22

Contact Us

Welcoming & Inclusive Communities Workplace Program

S.U.C.C.E.S.S. - Fort St John Office
Suite 209, 10142 – 101 Avenue
Fort St. John, BC V1J 2B3

Telephone:  250 785-5323
Fax:  250 785-5687
Email:  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Help Keep Us Current!

Information continually changes, so help us keep this website up to date and current. 

If you have something to add to this website, updated information, or would like to report a dead link or missing information...please contact us here.  We thank you for using and contributing to this site.

PDF Content on Website

Some documents on this Web site are in PDF format and require a PDF reader. If you do not have the most recent version of Adobe Acrobat Reader, or the most recent version of another PDF reader.

Download Adobe Acrobat Reader

Translate This Site

Quickly translate this site into another language using Google Translate by clicking on the dropdown menu below.