Things to do Right Away
If you have chosen to call Fort St. John your new home, "Welcome!"
When your first arrive in the city, there are many things on the to-do list. Here are just a few recommendations to help you on your way to getting settled.
- If you are a new immigrant to Canada, find a settlement agency close to your new home. S.U.C.C.E.S.S
- Apply for a Social Insurance Number.
- Register for British Columbia's Medical Services Plan.
- Open a bank account.
- Find a place to live.
- Apply for the Government of Canada Child Tax Benefit.
- Register your children for school.
- Apply for a British Columbia Driver's License.
S.U.C.C.E.S.S. Immigrant Services provide services to the community of Fort St. John and area. If you need help filling out any of the forms or if you have any questions please contact us at 250-785-5323 Ext. 23
You might also want to contact the Fort St John information Visitors Center @ 250-785-3033 if you need directions to a certain location or better still, ask the lady or gentleman around your viscinity, they will be willing to help!
Important Things You Should Know!
- For emergencies (medical, fire, police) call 911.
- Taxes in the Province of British Columbia include the BC Provincial Sales Tax of 7% and the Government of Canada Goods and Services Tax GST) of 5% which are charged on top of the cost of most goods sold in the province. (Example: an Item that costs $5.00 would have 7% PST and 5% GST applied, $0.35 PST and $0.25 GST, for a total price of $5.60). Select items are excluded from one or both taxes, and more information can be found on the Province of BC website and the Canada Revenue Agency website.
- Regional Telephone Books can be picked up a the Post Office, Visitor Centre, Government Building, or City Hall.
- BC Transit operates bus service in the City of Fort St. John. Current schedules, maps, and fares can be found here.